All Things Techie With Huge, Unstructured, Intuitive Leaps

New Type of Spam -- Blog Comments


NOTE:  IF YOU ARE READING THIS BECAUSE YOU GOT AN EMAIL FROM ME, READ THIS BLOG ENTRY, BUT ESPECIALLY THE TEXT IN RED BELOW.

I am getting a new type of spam -- link spam in my blog comments.  Link spam isn't new, however the way it is presented is.

Here is the story.  I became aware of link spam when my mother-in-law got a malware virus that sent messages to all of her email contacts.  The message was that I could earn good money by posting links.  This is of course, blackhat SEO.

The twist is this.  They picked a blog of mine that gets a lot of traffic, but not many new updates.  This is from a blog about my high school days.  I have run out of content (pictures that I have taken in high school), but my classmates and school mates google and find the pictures.  It is quite a popular blog and it is also featured in Wikipedia.  So this blog is targeted.  I must get at least 20 or more comments on various blog posts.  They all contain links.  But they are written in a friendly manner so as to pass muster.  Here are two examples:


Hey there, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog! Stop by my webpage: Florist st cloud Fl

Hі, itѕ pleаsant post regaгԁing media prіnt, wе all be familіar with meԁia is а fantastic sοuгce of facts. Alsο visit my blоg - Look for Special discounts Motels costs



The links are everything from Florida florist shops to chiropractors in Wisconsin to whatever.  I am sure that the owners of these links pay the spammer to link post and create visibility of their websites.  There is one born every minute.  What I have started to do, is to inform the owners of the links that they were scammed.

If you were referred to this blog post by email, your pathetic attempts to raise your website profile has failed.  If you paid to have your links published, you were cheated.  You are participating in a spam scheme and you have lost your money.


No comments:

Post a Comment