All Things Techie With Huge, Unstructured, Intuitive Leaps

Typepad Major Outage this Weekend


This weekend, I went to read one of my favorite blogs, and I got a 404 not found error.  Since this blog is slightly political, and somewhat critical of the government in a banana republic, I was concerned because the owner is also a friend of mine.  This is the government that arrested a prosecuted an activist who posted the picture of a person who died while suffering injuries in police custody.  Yes, the Bahamas is that country, and corruption and political interference in basic freedoms (speech, sexual orientation, equality of women) is a fact of life there.

As it turns out, Typepad was down with a major outage for the weekend.  They did have Twitter reports as to their status.  I feel better about my software bugs when major sites screw up.

I had to laugh at Typepad though.  They had this disclaimer:

This page (http://www.typepad.com/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses CloudFlare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by CloudFlare | Hide this Alert

The CloudFlare thing didn't work. So much for CloudFlare. Here is a worse one for you though.  Since I was worried about my friend who is the author of the blog, I went to a website to check if TypePad was up or down.  The website is www.downrightnow.com.  I queried it about TypePad.  They said that TypePad was up -- possibly because the server was able to deliver a 404 HTTP error.  That was useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment