All Things Techie With Huge, Unstructured, Intuitive Leaps

Time For Data DNA



I'm thinking of having my DNA tested because most days, I feel that I'm not me. Weird ideas keep popping into my head. Yesterday I was thinking about data & analytics.

As a data science aficionado, I like to keep every scrap of data. I like to find things that the data tells me. Most of the time it tells me that my life is boring & I should go outside for a walk or find a way to get a private jet or something. But a thought with more gravitas struck me. Mother Nature doesn't keep a database of every animal, plant or cognitively-impaired Trumpkin ever produced. The pattern is kept in DNA. Whenever she wants to play dice with the universe, Cupid sends an arrow thru the hearts of polar opposites in the fat tails of a population distribution, and interesting things happen -usually in a manner where interesting is like circus-interesting.

So back to databases. Other than keeping an entry of identifying things like name and address, why do we have to have multitudinous tables for metadata about a specific humanoid. Why can't be have a classifier that stores a short hand model like DNA? This would be helpful for merchants holding customer data. After all, any merchant has a finite number of customer types. There has to be a better data way.

(originally appeared as a Linked In post: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ken-bodnar-57b635133/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment