All Things Techie With Huge, Unstructured, Intuitive Leaps

Upgrading from Tomcat 7 to Tomcat 8

When we upgraded from Apache Tomcat 7.0.21 to 7.0.56, all that we did, was copy over every single file in the TOMCAT_HOME/conf directory into the new installation and everything worked perfectly. When I did the same thing upgrading to Tomcat 8.0.15, it blew apart. Tomcat would not even start. The exception in the logs was:

java.lang.classnotfoundexception org.apache.catalina.core.jasperlistener

The fix was to find the original server.xml and splice in our local stuff into it -- like the context and the appBase and the listening port.  Once we did that, it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps someone.


  1. I was using Tomcat 7. Installed 8. copied the server.xml file. Topmcat didnt strat with the jasperlistener class not found extension.

  2. Tomcat 8 has different server.xml vs tomcat 6 & 7 in terms of few properties. Blind copy will not work. Keep the original server.xml and diff with your existing one, use tomcat manual and update new server.xml as per that.